Monday, January 18, 2010

Vegetables

So several family members, friends and myself are doing a Biggest Loser Challenge. Not only to lose weight but to have better eating habits. This includes drinking more water, getting more rest and eating 5 servings of fruits and vegetables.


So on the topic of vegetables Patty and I had a hilarious discussion about her childhood and veggies on the way home from shopping. I'm paraphrasing here so Patty if you want to send me edits I'm make the changes.

"So mom, about the only vegetables your served us were canned green beans, mixed frozen vegetables, corn and when you wanted to get really fancy you'd nuke some carrots and then put brown sugar and butter on them. Once I started out on my own I found out I liked lots of different vegetables like brussel sprouts and my kids really like them too!"

Yes - I had a lot of trouble incorporating vegetables in an interesting and inviting way. It always seems easier to just open up the can or bag. I think I served a lot of brocoli too.

So how to handle the Biggest Loser challenge? V-8 low sodium juice. Only 2 1/2 cups and I've hit my 5 servings!

What are the vegetables I'll eat: corn, peas, brocoli, sugar snap peas, asparagus, artichokes (probably don't really count), carrots, red and yellow bell peppers (much better than green), spinach (prefer raw), cabbage (again raw preferred), potatoes, beets, tomatoes, endive, lettuce (probably doesn't count either), jimaca, parsnips, edemama .... mmmm can't think of any other veggies.

Hopefully the next generation - my granchildren - will have better veggie role models. Sounds like Patty is already seting a new standard.

What is your favorite vegetable?

No comments:

Post a Comment