Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thrift Measures

So I'm trying to buy a house. It is an exciting yet very scary prospect. It is exciting to think of having my own on-going HGTV project. Scarey because it means I'm committing to living somewhere for at least 3 years. It is hard to believe I've lived here for nearly 9 months!

So buying a house means instituting some "thrift measures". I picked up this term from the person I wen to the Dallas Art Museum with. So what are some of the thrift measure I'm adopting and have been doing for some months ...

1. No more shopping at Nordstrom's, Christoper & Banks and Ann Taylor:

Actually no more clothes shopping until I REALLY don't have anything to wear. Course if I stick to biggest lose challenge I'll have an entire new wardrobe by Spring. My realtor told me she would tell me about all the great consignments shops in town. Now that will be something - me buying used clothing!

2. Limiting my air travel in 2010

If you recall an earlier post indicating that I'm now a SWA A-Lister - well I'm sure I won't be renewing next January. I will try to make it to every grandchilds Bday though.

3. Borrow books from the Library and 4. don't buy magazines
I think I must buy magazines every week. I know I bought an average of at least 3 for every trip I took so that alone was 40 magazines or more. Think of all the trees I'll save. It will be hard not being able to keep up with the latest on Kate Gosselin, but I'm sure I'll survive.
5. Eating up the majority of the food in my freezer and fridge before I buy more.
Isn't it interesting how you have nothing to eat in your fridge, yet there are food items on every shelf and your freezer is packed. What's up with that? Just so you know I'm not talking about the wilted and gooey veggies I buy, then inadvertantly let rot becaues I don't eat them. Those are just good intention buys that make me feel healthy and skinny.
Well - anyone have any other "thrift measures" they can pass on?

No comments:

Post a Comment