
When I moved to Dallas I decided I would take advantage of local activities and really try to get to know the city. I joined both the Dallas Museum of Art and the Arboretum. With the number of times I've gone I have already more then paid for the memberships.
Last night was "Late Nights" at the DMA. "The Art doesn't go home why should you?". The place was packed and we had to park at an office building across the street. Luckily it was the office of the person I was with. More on that later.
Food, activities, dance and music was going on all over the museum. We listened to Grammy winners Brave Combo a nuclear polka band. So much fun! It was also the museums 25th birthday. The DMA is part of an overall plan to create an Arts district in downtown Dallas - 44 acres of museums, parks, sculpture, opera, symphony etc. The city is currently working on a park that will be above the freeway in front of the museum. That should be really nice.
Side note: TX freeways are either at ground level or below rather then up above like in California.
So - part of my getting to know Dallas is trying to put myself out there and meet new people. At a movie I went to prior to the holidays I met a woman who works at a company that does a United Way Campaign. We exchanged cards saying maybe we should get together. Well, I sent her an e-mail and she went with me. It was nice to get to know her a bit more, but we probably won't become best friends. Not really enough common ground. I will say it was super sweet of her to come along.
It has been harder to make friends in a new city then I thought it would be. It can sometimes feel a bit lonely. But when that happens I just think about all the blessings I have like 4 wonderful children, 3 son-in-laws and 5 grandchildren. I also have some wonderful friends in the other cities I've lived in and I so appreciate their love and support!
Well, have a great day. I'm off to Curves! xo
No comments:
Post a Comment